Top Ten Books I Recommend The MostTuesday, March 26, 2013
Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
Is then any better feeling then when I friend tells you that he/she liked the book you recomended and then you go on a lengthy conversation about that books, plot characters etc. For me, almost nothing beats that wonderful feeling - that I gave a couple of hours of enjoyment to a bookworm friend. :)
I usually can't just say: "This is good read it!" I have to know a little bit more about person's tastes and what do they like, so my recommendations are grouped into a couple of categories...
♥ Fantasy Lovers ♥
- What? You have never read anything by Brandon Sanderson? Shame on you! Go and read The Final Empire and the rest of Mistborn trilogy ASAP! You may thank me later. ;)
- Hmm so you read have Sanderson... How about Martha Wells? She has very original world building and wonderful descriptions of environment. If you liked the nature in movie Avatar, I think you are going to enjoy her Books of the Raksura series. Just start with The Cloud Roads...
- If you think that ya has nothing to offer to older fantasy fans, think again - His Dark Materials series by Philip Pullman is simply a.w.e.s.o.m.e. Steampunk-ish setting, animal companions, armor-wearing warrior polar bears, ... If you skipped it before because it is sometimes labeled as young adult or middle-grade fantasy, go back and read it. You won't be sorry.
♥ Science Fiction Fans Looking For Something Different ♥
- What does Greek gods, humans fighting dinosaurs on post-apocalyptic Earth and robots on a space mission to explore far-away planets of Solar system have in common? Read Ilium by Dan Simmons and find out. ;)
- Like action packed thrillers? Then Nexus by Ramez Naam might be your thing, especially if you like genetic engineering and human enhancements added to the mix.
♥ Want to Have a Good Laugh? ♥
- For fantasy, urban fantasy and paranormal fans there is Sympathy for the Devil by Holly Lisle where all hell literally gets loose. I loved this humorous picture of Hell, Satan and his minions.
- And for mystery fans who like quirky detectives, well there is no one crazier than Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams...
♥ Looking For a Great Love Story? ♥
- If you like Eastern culture and especially Japan then my recommendation is Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden.
- If you would rather have contemporary setting and like your books full of emotions and do not mind that setting is mental hospital then check out Veronika Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho.
- And last, if you would like contemporary romance but all new adult novels feel the same, check out Easy by Tammara Webber. It has great character development and touches some serious subjects (like rape).
This list is not ordered, it just seemed interesting to group them this way. :)
Well that's it from me. What are your top ten books that you recommend the most? Do we share the same ones?
Share your thoughts and links to your lists in comments! :)